Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Cable Splicer
Job Number: BCH-R-8528-190524E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
As per IBEW Collective Agreement.
- As per IBEW Collective Agreement.
- Journeyman/woman Cable Splicer shall undertake jointing, splicing, testing, bonding, racking, installing, inspecting and repairing of lead covered and any metallic covered types of cables over 600 volts
- Notwithstanding the duties assigned to a Power Line Technician or Electrician, Cable Splicers shall on all type of cable carrying over 600 volts, do the fitting of potheads and other accessories and the assembly, testing, repair and maintenance of such cables
- They may act as a Foreman/woman or a Sub-Foreman/woman over Power Line Technicians, Driver/Helpers, Apprentices or labourers
- All Cable Splicer Helpers shall be Journeymen/women Power Line Technicians except where it is necessary to employ, temporarily, Cable Splicers from other companies for the purpose of instruction or specialized work
- Excluding generating stations a Cable Splicer, under the direction of the person-in-charge, may for the execution of their own work on 35 kV and below, operate and switch lines and equipment up to but not including the feeder bus in distribution supply stations
- Cable Splicers will not operate any apparatus equipped with supervisory control
- As per IBEW Collective Agreement.
- Provincially recognized Journeyperson Cable Splicer Certification or proof of qualification for out of province applicants
- Class 3 driver's licence with airbrake endorsement or ability to obtain same in B.C.
- Interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with employees and internal/external
- Ability to travel in helicopters when required
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
This position is affiliated with the international Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union (IBEW local 258) www.ibew258.bc.ca
- This position is based at our Horne Payne Office in Burnaby, BC
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain the following requirements in good standing: Cable Splicer Certificate
- The IBEW hourly wage rate for a Cable Splicer is $46.69
- BC Hydro conducts pre-placement medical checks of applicants entering certain positions to help safeguard BC Hydro’s workplace. As part of the selection process, you may be required to demonstrate successful completion of a pre-placement medical check.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by July 5, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.