Electric Distribution System Planning Engineer
Ameren Illinois delivers energy to 1.2 million electric and 812,000 natural gas customers in Illinois. Our mission is to power the quality of life. Our service area covers more than 1,200 communities and 43,700 square miles. For more information, visit AmerenIllinois.com or find us on Twitter @AmerenIllinois. For more on the ActOnEnergy program, visit actonenergy.comAbout The Position
Position will be located at the Ameren Decatur IL office.
The Engineer works collaboratively with Design, Construction, Operating and Maintenance workgroups to identify, justify and initiate projects for optimum electric distribution system development (bulk supply substation, 34 kV and 69 kV lines, distribution substation), and provides various technical support.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop conceptual design for new facilities, collaborate with other workgroups to reach consensus, and issue engineering documents to initiate design and construction.
- Prepare load forecasts and perform power flow and reliability studies for the Ameren power delivery and electric distribution system.
- Develop & maintain expertise in power systems analysis. Perform special studies, and participate in research as needed.
- Use computer modeling techniques and engineering expertise to assess electric distribution system adequacy and to identify the optimum size, configuration, and timing of changes to facilities.
- Perform economic analyses to evaluate project alternatives.
- Develop operating information which serves as a knowledge base for responding to various contingency conditions on the power delivery system.
- Provide support to operating groups in responding to specific contingency conditions, including the impact of planned facility outages.
- Evaluate system load additions and generator interconnections.
- Emergency call-out for storm restoration.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, preferably with an emphasis in power, from an accredited college or university required. Experience in power system analysis or related fields preferred.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
Working knowledge of personal computer applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio). Working knowledge of corporate computer applications (MV90, CSS) and PSS/E preferred. Good analytical, decision-making, communication, and human relations skills and ability to interact effectively with various stakeholders to reach consensus. Must have initiative, a sense of ownership and pride in their areas of responsibility.
Ameren’s selection process includes a series of interviews and may include a leadership assessment process. Specific details will be provided to qualified candidates.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.