Lineman Appr 1St Yr - Journeyman Lineman
Assist in the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities. Drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment. The following list sets forth the principal duties required for the job family. This list is not intended to limit assignment of work or the degree of supervision under all operating conditions. Employee may perform miscellaneous, related, and incidental work in addition to that specifically outlined below.
- Opens and closes switches and installs grounding devices to lines and equipment.
- May climbs poles and/or ride in bucket to install or repair wires, arms, insulators or other hardware on poles.
- Install and repair underground facilities such as cable, transformers, potheads and pedestals. Installs pole hardware and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lightning arresters, switches, fuses and insulators, using hand tools and mechanical devices.
- May cover energized lines with rubber goods to facilitate safe handling of high-voltage lines without interrupting service.
- Uses insulated poles (hot sticks) fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools and/or rubber gloves and sleeves to perform energized line work.
- Perform similar or less skilled work as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED
Applicable years of experience will determine appropriate classification.
- Must possess and maintain a valid CDL A state driver's license or be able to obtain one within six months. Successful completion of the CAST selection test is required for this position.
- A review of Employment Testing Information and Tips, and the CAST practice test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at aep.com/careers by selecting Employment Testing.
- Must pass AEP Pre-Assessment Evaluation. Required to reside within a 25 mile radius or with 30 roadway miles of dock/work location.
- Must have the ability to climb and work at heights.
- Must have the ability to communicate with employees, customers and the general public in a courteous and proper manner.
- Must acquire with such time frame as determined by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the next higher classification in the line of progression, or vacate the current job classification.
- Work Hours / Travel Requirements: 40 hours per week with overtime and travel as required.
- Must be available for overtime call-out including weekends and holidays.
- Must reside within a 25-mile radius or 30-roadway miles from the assigned location.
Lineman/Lineworker - Apprentice
< 2 years
High School or equivalent
Note: Some listings may also have apply info in the ad itself