ELECTRIC JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
Electric Journeyman Lineman (Journey Line Workers) are central to Consumers Energy's operations of delivering electricity to homes and businesses throughout our service territory.
Under general supervision, a Journey Line Worker performs any duties required in the operation, maintenance and construction of the electric distribution, sub-transmission, transmission, communication lines and associated equipment.
Key responsibilities include :
- Locate and repair faults on all types of overhead and underground lines and equipment on regulators, transformers of all types, capacitors, boosters and similar devices.
- Install or remove poles, towers, arms, pins, insulators, dead ends and associated equipment in and on energized circuits.
- Measure voltage and current, phasing and paralleling circuits, power or lightning transformers and regulators.
- Install and test electronic devices on equipment such as capacitors and other associated equipment on electric distribution systems.
- Direct and train electric line apprentices in accordance with the electric line apprenticeship program.
A journeyman line worker must be familiar with :
- Installing, inspecting, removing, maintaining, and repairing poles, towers, cross arms, braces, pins, insulators, secondary racks, brackets, guys, transformer supports, and other supporting structures, wires and other conductors.
- Transformers, lightning arresters, capacitors, isolators, fuses and cutouts.
- Disconnecting oil and air-break switches and repeater fuses.
- Communication lines.
- Other associated equipment.
- Knowledge about what causes radio or television interference.
***Candidates filling these positions may be subject to working an afternoon schedule***
When applying to this position, please attach your certified Journeyman Lineman card (which shows the date you topped out) along with a resume.
- Must have all of the qualifications of a Journeyman Line Worker including a certified Journeyman Lineman card (equivalent to 4 years of experience as a line worker).
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment assessment at the Consumers Energy training facility.
This position is included under a collective bargaining agreement with the Utility Workers Union of America.
- Maintenance of Electric Distribution systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for all utility operations.
- Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects.
- Individual possesses the skills to lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment.
- Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company’s compliance standards.
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours per week with the majority of time spent in specific field locations.
- Travel is required to job sites.
- Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines or assist with storm restoration activities.
- Individual should be willing to participate in the on call rotation in case of potential storms.
- Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to help with storm restoration which may require overnight stays.
- Individuals must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to stand and walk for periods of up to and beyond eight hours in all kinds of weather; snow, mud, dirt, water, ice, etc.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and move up to fifty pounds and occasionally lift and move up to seventy-five pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous hours during storm restoration efforts.
Position will be filled at the Electric Journeyman Lineman level as the candidate must already have all of the qualifications of an Electric Journeyman Lineman, including uploading a certified Electric Journeyman Lineman card or certification (equivalent to 4 years of experience as an electric line worker) into their application.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.