Utility Overhead/Underground Troubleman
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently. About Transmission and Distribution Southern California Edison’s (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 14 million residents via SCE’s 5 million customer accounts. Position overview This position will be a Troubleman located at our South Bay Service Center within Southern California Edison (SCE)’s Transmission and Distribution (T&D) organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintenance and repairs to overhead and underground electric systems. Typical Responsibilities:
- Works along or with others, patrols, inspects, maintains and operates overhead and underground electrical distribution circuits and associated equipment.
- Prioritizes and assigns work when acting in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Performs activities such as investigating service interruptions, making permanent or temporary repairs, establishing and/or disconnecting service, installing and removing meters, performing volt/amp checks, replacing fuses, restoring service on customer calls, operating switching equipment, operating substations, reporting fire status, and patrolling and servicing street light systems.
- Receives trouble calls by various telecommunication mediums.
- Determines and acts upon abnormal conditions that may require additional resources.
- Uses applicable Injury and Illness prevention Rules, approved tools and safety equipment to work on or near energized lines or equipment.
- Clears conductors of circuits energized over 600 volts in trouble or emergency situations.
- Operates construction vehicles, auxiliaries and other powered equipment.
- Trains, evaluates and assists other employees as required.
- Uses manual or automated methods to document work performed, record equipment installed and labor utilized.
- Creates and maintains a safety conscious work environment by leading and influencing others to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices and perform other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Certified Journeyman Lineman and possess a Journeyman Lineman card.
- Two or more years of Distribution Lineman experience.
- Due to the weight restrictions of safety equipment used by SCE linemen, candidates must weigh less than 285 pounds to qualify for the position.
- Currently possess a Class A motor vehicle operator's license.
- Experience climbing poles and structures and working in high or confined spaces.
- Maintaining and restoring service on overhead and underground distribution systems
- Performing field switching duties.
- Operating test equipment such as amp, volt, or ohm meters, phasing and cable testing set.
- Using hand or power tools and operating construction equipment.
- Knowledge of: Fundamental principles of electrical theory, methods and techniques employed in the construction and maintenance of the overhead and underground electrical system; mechanical principles; General Orders 95, 128, and applicable laws and Company standards.
- Knowledge of applicable Injury and Illness Prevention Rules and fire Prevention Rules and Information.
- Proper use of tools and equipment; operating procedures; function and operation of personal computer, and appropriate administrative and clerical procedures.
- Plan, layout, assign, and perform work from construction drawings and specifications using standard practices; and give and/or receive oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform very heavy physical work.
- Applicants who are identified to continue in the selection process will be invited to test via-email and are encouraged to immediately begin preparing for any tests required in this job posting - Link to Study Guides
- Please reference Test Battery #8503 Troubleman Knowledge Verbal Knowledge and Test #4016: Lineman Physical Performance.
- Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s) may not need to retest again for this position.
- Candidates must be available to test in Chino, CA on Saturday, June 23, 2018.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Relocation may apply to this position.
- Availability to be on call and work on rotating on-call shifts.
- Flexibility to work overtime including weekends and holidays.
Transmission & Distribution
2 - 5 years
High School or equivalent
Note: Some listings may also have apply info in the ad itself