Associate Transmission System Operator
FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 17,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
Transmission System Operators ensure the reliable delivery of electricity to consumers. From the company's state-of-the-art control centers, System Operators monitor conditions on the electrical grid and develop contingency plans to curtail potentially dangerous and costly system problems. System Operators prepare and coordinate switching procedures for routine and emergency work on the electric system and communicate this information to field crews. Associate Transmission System Operators receive extensive training and valuable on the job experience to prepare for NERC/PJM certification and learn the FirstEnergy system. Based on individual performance, Operators then advance from an Associate level position to the career-level Transmission System Operator position.
- Assisting in controlling operation of the transmission system in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
- Assisting in ordering appropriate operational changes to meet load fluctuations or loss of generation equipment, substation equipment or transmission lines.
- Assisting in issuing transmission switching orders to switchmen and power plant personnel.
- Performing special operating studies and preparing reports, load flows and other operating and dispatching data.
- Assisting in the coordination and operations of system operators from other companies.
- Scheduling work on substation, transmission line and power plant substation equipment.
- Assisting in the direct placement of safety tags and issuing clearance or switching controls to appropriate personnel.
- Assisting in preparing new or revising existing switching orders and operating procedures.
- Operating the Energy Management System computer application.
- Using FirstEnergy's corporate computer applications, including EDOA, and Access Databases.
- Diagnosing causes of trouble when interruptions occur in substations or to transmission lines and determining steps to be taken for the restoration of service, including the rerouting of electrical energy.
- Obtaining weather information from weather services and interconnected companies to forecast loads.
- Coordinating with regional personnel on matters pertaining to customer problems.
The Associate level involves training and development responsibilities to progress toward Transmission System Operator level.
- A minimum of 2 - 4 years of an accredited engineering or technical school degree or in lieu of degree, equivalent experience with a high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Able to meet all FirstEnergy, North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) and PJM operator certification requirements as responsibilities progress within the position.
- Effective performance in regional dispatching, substation or lines areas, energy scheduling or equivalent type of experience in electric company operations preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated good analytical skills to process information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to accurately perform analytical calculations such as voltage drops, transformer and circuit loadings, system load and interchange data calculations and verifications.
- Demonstrated computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Knowledge of the equipment and principles involved in the operation of all components of the electrical system preferred.
- Knowledge of FirstEnergy's clearance and switching procedures and NERC operating policies a plus.
- Possess ability, or have previous experience in, writing switching orders to remove and restore lines and electrical equipment while providing safety to employees, preventing damage to equipment and maintaining reliable and quality service to the customer.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, schedule and coordinate various aspects of the job with minimal direct supervision.
- Must have effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Conduct and present himself/herself in a professional manner.
- Must satisfy requirements of the EEI System Operator/Power Dispatching Test (SOPD).
- Must live within a 60-minute commute from the Control Center.
- Must be able to work a rotating shift schedule, including holidays and weekends.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team