Description of an Apprentice Lineman:
Performs construction and maintenance of distribution lines, works energized lines up to 14,400/24,900 volts.
Apprentice Lineman Duties:
- Replaces poles, cross arms, insulators and repairs conductors on distribution lines, under direction of a Journeyman Lineman or Line Foreman.
- Installs and connects transformers, oil circuit reclosers, capacitors, voltage regulator, switches and other related equipment.
- Works energized conductors up to 14,400/24,900 volts when assisted and directed by a Journeyman Lineman, in accordance with prescribed methods and procedures
- Patrols distribution lines, inspecting conditions of line and structures as required.
- Loads and unloads poles, transformers and other materials.
- Climbs utility poles.
- Installs all types of transformers, primary metering equipment and makes tap changes.
- Locates trouble and restores service on all class of lines, substations, sectionalizing equipment, etc. with help from Apprentice Lineman III or higher.
- Makes underground and submarine cable installations, including the making of joints and installation of potheads.
- Installs pole type regulators and transformers to boost or buck line voltage.
- Phases and checks rotation in circuits, direct and with potential transformers.
- Makes field tests of distribution transformers.
- Checks for ground faults on circuits or equipment.
- Performs switching and sectionalizing as required.
- Trims trees and cuts brush as needed.
- Reads meters as directed.
- Performs all activities for the removal and retirement of distribution lines.
- Makes trouble calls on outage reports and member complaints.
- Operates and secures prevention maintenance services on assigned transportation and maintains adequate control of materials, tools and safety equipment ready for use.
- Learns to read and interpret blueprints and any other specifications for construction of distribution lines.
- Receives radio communications and directives and orally confirms understanding.
- Responds regularly and promptly to work.
Apprentice Lineman Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalency required
- Must have a valid Texas Class A driver's license or ability to obtain within three (3) months of employment.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions and be available for on-call hours.
- Previous outdoor, general labor experience preferred.
NOTE: This position is part of a Lineman Apprenticeship Program under the guidelines of the US Dept of Labor. In addition to above, the applicant must be at least 18 years old, and comply with the Appretniceship Standards.
Knowledge of the following:
- Be familiar with the hazards that exist, including falls, electric shock, electric flash, falling objects and traffic; and is familiar with the use of protection equipment, safety equipment and first aid.
- Able to read and understand all wiring diagrams and blueprints as related to transmission and distribution construction and maintenance.
- Have thorough knowledge of layout and characteristics of distribution and transmission lines in the area assigned.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a high-energy, fast paced environment and adapt to constantly changing priorities and situations.