Electrical Substation Foreman
The Substation Foreman performs advanced, highly skilled electrical work in the construction, maintenance, operation, and repair of substations.
Duties include the supervision of Substation Electricians, and/or, Lineman, and other assigned crew in the performance of each substation construction project per scope of work.
Employees of this class supervise and participate in electrical work performed at substations. The Substation Foreman is responsible for managing and directing the activities of all Substation Electricians, Lineman, Groundman, and is expected to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment to ensure that the quality and quantity of work performed is in compliance with applicable safety standards and operating policies. The hazardous conditions of working in close proximity to energized equipment in substations are extremely critical factors of this job. Work is strenuous and requires bending, stooping, and heavy lifting. An employee in this class may work under the general supervision of a Superintendent, be classed as a Superintendent/Alt., and/or client Inspector.
TASKS INCLUDE: but not limited to.
- Assembly and Erection of Substations.
- Assesses and adjusts priorities and refocus efforts as needed to meet individual project requirements, work load,
- Provides a framework of various levels of training and experience to be used when recruiting staff.
- Conducts project review and planning with Project Manager/Superintendent.
- Reviews schematics and specifications; ensures drawings and specifications will function as designed in environment intended for use.
- Provides material takeoffs.
- Maintains inventory usage and materials used on jobs.
- Coordinates or prepares shipment of materials and supplies for job sites.
- Installs system components and wiring in compliance with the Company standards, Client Contract Standards.
- Proposes changes or modifications to plans to enhance operation.
- critical and non-critical activities effectively for project success.
- Manages and schedules assigned staff.
- Conducts and records daily tailgate/toolbox/safety meetings.
- Responsible for upkeep and safe-keep of all equipment and tools assigned for substation construction.
- Responsible for training assigned staff on installation of substation material, equipment.
- Responsible for training assigned staff on proper usage and safety on all equipment and tools.
- Develop goals and priorities; assigns tasks and projects.
- Planning and initiating projects.
19. Establishing and implementing OSHA and Customer Safety Requirements.
Special requirements. Must possess a valid Driver's license by hire date.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED.
- Successful completion of an apprentice electrician program, Substation Technician program, or Apprenticeship Lineman program.
- Must have 10+ years of onsite electrical substation construction industry experience. Actual electrical substation construction experience pertaining to project layout, grading, foundations, grounding, fencing, steel erection, equipment, bus, control buildings. OSHA 30 Cert, Current First Aid/CPR, and Med Health Cards.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Electrical theory, National Electric Code, and National Electric Safety Code; The methods, materials, and equipment used in the electrical trade;
- The occupational hazards and safety precautions and procedures related to working around high voltages (69kV – 500kV);
- Basic electricity and the application of electrical theory used in the design of substations; the installation, maintenance, repair, and operation of all types of electrical and mechanical equipment used in substations; electrical systems, circuits, and control logic with the ability to locate and isolate problems working from blueprints, wiring diagrams, and schematic drawings; mechanical operation of a substation; the theory of all substation equipment including electrical, mechanical, and control equipment. Use various electrical test equipment and instruments such as: volt meters, grounds, hot sticks. Establish production goals. Building and updated detailed man-loaded construction schedules.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE TESTING:
Due to the safety and/or security sensitive nature of this classification, individuals shall be subject to pre-employment or pre-placement alcohol, drug and/or controlled substance testing.
Travel is required.
T&D Solutions, LLC, is a member of the PowerTeam Services family of Companies, and a leading provider of construction and maintenance services for electric transmission and distribution lines throughout the Southwest, Central South, Midwest, and Eastern United States. With a continued focus on our Mission Statement, T&D Solutions continues our journey of being the preferred Utility Service Company for our customers. We offer excellent compensation and industry-leading benefits such as health, dental and vision, life insurance, STD and LTD starting on DAY 1. Eligibility for Company matching 401K benefit after 3 months of employment.