Transmission Lineman Apprentice (0G)
Performs a variety of duties related to the installation, operation, repair, and maintenance of overhead and/or underground distribution systems, transmission facilities, and street light systems to provide continuous and dependable electric service to customers.
- Members in the apprentice program perform duties related to the craft and consistent with their achieved level within the program which may include:
- Constructs and maintains overhead and underground distribution or transmission systems in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Climb poles, set poles and string wire, utilizes and operates equipment (e.g., aerial bucket trucks, and other construction equipment), materials, and manpower in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
- May operate a variety of electronic and other test equipment with a high degree of efficiency, as needed.
- May investigate and document events of cut or damaged cable and other company facilities, as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with DOT certification with no restrictions.
- Associate's Degree or higher in a technical discipline; OR prior military experience at the journey level for one enlistment completed with DD Form 214; OR Two (2) years journey level experience in a craft technical/mechanical role.
- RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS POSITION**
3 years in an approved apprentice program OR 2 years of transmission or distribution line work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exposed to extreme conditions and inclement weather.
- Required to operate motor vehicle safely in all traffic, weather and light conditions.
- May be required to work under hazardous conditions.
- Requires wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Required to work away from home for extended periods, as needed.
- May be required to maintain permanent residence within 30 minute driving time to assigned service center (except System Construction).
- Required to work at heights up to and exceeding thirty (30) feet.
- Required to work with voltages up to 34.5 kV.
- Successfully complete Lineman and Switching Schools under the Apprentice Program.
- Maintains or obtain all required certifications (e.g., Class A Switching, Confined Space, etc.).
- Completes required training (e.g., Forklift Operation, C.P.R., Defensive driving, FERC, etc.).
- Required to work non-standard work schedules to include on-call, overtime, weekends, holidays, and call-outs.
- **Physical Demands**
- Lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Pushing up to 115 pounds of force.
- Pulling up to 83 pounds of force.
- Prolonged walking with frequent stair climbing.
- Prolonged standing on various surfaces.
- Frequent stooping and crouching.
- Occasional kneeling and crawling.
- Frequent fine motor coordination and grasping.
- Frequent work in awkward positions in confined spaces.
- Frequent reaching overhead and reaching forward.
- Occasional pole climbing.
- For additional information about physical demands, go to oge.com/physicaldemands