Corbins Electric is now hiring for a Project Engineer position. This role will ensure project(s) financial performance meet or exceed budgetary expectations while mitigating exposure to risk. Develop and preserve a positive business relationship and team concept with client while ensuring strict contractual compliance of all parties. Provide information, guidance, and support to assigned Project Manager and project Superintendent or Foreman as well as company management and support staff throughout project. Maintain thorough and accurate project records.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & PRECONSTRUCTION: Initiate, develop, and maintain positive working relationships with industry partners, clients, design professionals, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Track and update all client related business development activities in the Actions Item Tracker.
- Personally attend at least 4 industry related events annually with the highest possible impact to the Corbin’s growth. Events are to be attended with specific objective(s).
- Participate in the preparation and/or evaluation of estimates or portions of estimates as directed by the Market Manager, Branch Manager, or VP.
PROJECT PLAN: Participate in the development of a comprehensive project plan for each assigned project incorporating:
- All requirements, constraints, and opportunities utilizing Corbins Electric’s Project Plan Development Guidelines and tracking tools.
RISK MANAGEMENT: The Project Engineer supports the Project Manager in activities including:
- Assist in preparation of subcontracts that include clear scope(s) of work, contract flow-downs, and project specific requirements for review by the PM.
- Assurance of strict compliance to contract scope and project schedule.
- Assurance that all RFI’s addressing unforeseen conditions or changes to the work are submitted timely and logged appropriately.
- Assurance that undue exposure to incurring additional cost or any other risk(s) are immediately addressed and formal notification is provided to customer within required contractual timeframe
- Mitigate issues in a timely and business-like manner including the preparation and submission of Change Order Requests and update the project Change Order Log.
PROJECT EXECUTION: The Project Engineer supports the Project Manager in activities including:
- Maintain all required files/logs per Corbins’ standards and ensure that all relevant project information is appropriately documented and secured.
- Procuring product data sheets from vendors, creating submittal packages, tracking submittal packages through change/approval process. Distribute approved submittals to Superintendents and Foreman as needed.
- Work proactively to manage the schedule as it related to Corbins’ work activities and provide appropriate input, updates, and notifications to customer.
- Regularly communicate relevant schedule, change, and cost information to the project team, and Corbins’ supporting staff.
- Ensure exit planning meetings occur and internal punch lists are developed on all projects over 1,000 hours within 85-95% completion.
- Hold project review meetings at the completion of all projects over 1,000 man hours or on any project with a cost deviation on any cost type by 5% or greater.
- Carry out other initiative and perform other duties as requested by Project Manager.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: The Project Engineer supports the Project Manager in activities including:
- Work with CE purchasing / procurement in developing vendor contacts, quotes, bills of materials, and related buy-out agreements and purchase order commitments. Establish limits of commodity materials to be released by project foreman.
- Change Orders procedures followed on all projects, specifically statuses updated prior to WIPs, written direction obtained prior to incurring costs, schedule adjustments are requested where applicable, executed changes received within 30 days of first cost and change order pricing turned around to the customer within 15 days of initial identification or earlier as required by contract.
- Provide input to PM outlining impacts and requesting compensation sent to customers 100% of the time when there are any changes to project schedule that will impact Corbins more than $1,000 or 5 days including extended general conditions, extended overhead, schedule compression, stacking of trades, premium time, potential liquidated damages, etc. Impact notices with JTD totals more than $5,000 need to be routed to the Market Manager or Branch Manager and more than $10,000 need to be routed to the Vice President before being submitting.
- Assist in preparation and submission of monthly billings according to the specific requirements of the contract or by the 25th of each month for the same billing period.
- Constantly assess the talent within the industry including competitors. Maintain a list of 5 people that would potentially be great recruits for Corbins by regular communication.
- Always promote a positive company image to company support staff, field leadership, and field workforce at Corbins Electric.
- Ensure that any assigned project staff promote a positive company image to the field workforce.
- Voice any issues or concerns you have with company processes, policies, or leadership to your direct supervisor and if necessary, the VP.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with on-site customer representatives.
- Promote Corbins Electric in a positive light at all times when dealing with customers, trade partners, subcontractors, and other industry professionals.
- Ensure professional resolution of escalated project issues and customer satisfaction.
MEASUREMENTS OF PERFORMANCE:
- Ensure the Action Items Tracker is current weekly.
- Attendance at 4 industry events
- Attendance during Estimate meetings related to your project
- Use of Corbins Project Plan Development Guidelines and Tools to assist with Project Plan creation
- Ensure adherence to scope and project schedule. Create RFI’s for change to work submitted timely.
- Maintain logs with all project information including change requests and communicate to the Project Manager and customer on a weekly basis.
- Work with Purchasing to request vendor quotes and contracts, outline impacts to the Project Manager, create and submit monthly billings by the 25th of each month.
- Ensure Change Order procedures are followed prior to the WIPs. Schedule adjustments within 30 days and turn around to customer within 15 days of initial identification.
- Education: High School diploma or GED preferable Bachelors in Construction Management or Project Management
- Experience: 1-3 years of project experience with construction or electrical focus
- Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: Proficient with Microsoft Office with advanced MS Project or experience with Primavera
- Mental: Highly organized, detail oriented and follow-through, excellent time management skills, ability to solve problems and work independently, interest and ability to learn industry-related concepts and apply them to customer interactions and project assistance, proactive and self-starter
- Physical: Able to carry up to 50 pounds unassisted, able to work evenings and weekends as needed, ability to work at computer for long periods of time
This is a safety sensitive position and all applicable policies will apply.