System Operator Trainee
Job Brief System Control Operations is looking for a Trainee to join the team and progress to a System Operator. If you would like to learn how to provide safe and reliable operation of our complex systems, this may be the job for you!
The System Operator Trainee is a challenging position involving complex tasks and systems. You'll be encouraged to learn, take initiative, and will get to work with many departments at Sunflower. This is a great opportunity at a professional and friendly company that cares about you, your family, and your professional growth. There are two job openings.
- Provide support to achieve the lowest cost, most reliable, and environmentally sound transmission and substation infrastructure.
- Enjoy the friendly, hometown atmosphere Garden City offers.
- Work with an experienced team who is willing to share their knowledge to help you to grow in this career.
- Receive outstanding benefits including a company funded pension, low health insurance premiums, and 100% tuition reimbursement.
- Gain experience in an electric utility to further your career.
This is a training position where you will work with increasingly complex systems while developing the skills and knowledge needed to achieve operational responsibilities. You'll be under the direction and supervision of the system operations trainer, while also being provided guidance by system operators, the System Operations supervisor, and System Operations manager.
You'll learn how to provide safe and reliable operation of the transmission system while adhering to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation’s (NERC) operating and reliability standards and procedures, Southwest Power Pool (SPP) criteria and established company policies, practices, and procedures. You'll get to monitor Sunflower’s transmission and generation system through use of the Energy Management Systems (EMS) and respond to situations that influence the capability of the interconnected transmission system. You'll get to direct appropriate staff in line switching, voltage regulation, and generation loading.
- Associate degree in applied science with an emphasis in electronics, electrical or related technology and three years utility experience, or equivalent combination or education and experience.
- Successful completion of the EEI System Operator/Power Dispatching II (SO/PD II) Selection System test.
- Working knowledge of algebra, geometry, basic principles of physics, and alternating current (ac) and direct current (dc) power concepts.
Refer to the Responsibility Outline for a complete list of qualifications .
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage candidates to review all the information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests, available here: https://secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts/Login.aspx.
The username and password are both sunflower . Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI does not allow access to the actual tests. Testing sessions are held at various locations.
Sunflower Electric Power Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.