ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison’s (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 14 million residents via SCE’s 5 million customer accounts.
The Distribution Groundman will work with crews to install, maintain and operate overhead and underground systems.
- Assists Lineman to gain poles, frame crossarms, assemble guys and splice wire.
- Loads and unloads material.
- Raises material and tools on pole or tower by use of handline.
- Dismantles material removed from line and places on trucks.
- Digs holes for poles and anchors, drives ground rods and pulls wires and guys to tension.
- Attends winch while handling heavy material and attends reels while stringing wire.
- Makes and maintains trails, fells trees and burns brush and trimmings, hoes weeds around poles and towers.
- May patrol lines in mountain area to observe for conditions such as trees in line, brush in right of way, slides and washouts.
- Learns tools, materials and methods of line construction and maintenance.
- Operates truck and power equipment used in overhead and underground line construction. May occasionally operate vehicles up to the 12,000 lb. unladen weight class.
- Follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Performs other miscellaneous manual labor functions as directed.
- Experience with basic use and functions of electrical equipment.
- Possess a valid Class A motor vehicle operator's license.
- Experience with tools, materials, and methods employed in overhead and underground line construction and maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience as a groundman.
- Experience with performing heavy manual labor.
- Certificate of completion from an SCE accredited training program such as East LA Skills Center, LA Trade Tech, Northwest Lineman's College, Verdugo Power Academy, Maxine Waters or CEC1 Advanced for a Powerline Mechanic, Electrical Lineman Apprentice, Electrical Lineworker or Electrical Utility Program with Pole Climbing Endorsement.
- Demonstrated ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Applicants who are identified to continue in the selection process will be invited to test and are encouraged to immediately begin preparing for any tests required in this job posting - Link to Study Guides.
- Please reference EEI CAST (Test 5108) and Safety Test (8200).
- An additional Groundman Physical Performace Test (4015) will also be included.
- Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s) may not need to retest again for this position.
- Candidates must be available to test for the physical portion in Chino, CA on Thursday April 12, 2018.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Position may be required to work any day of the year, planned or during emergencies. This could involve extensive continuous overtime during the normal shift as well as weekends and holidays be asked to work for an extended amount of time at (alternate work location).
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
Edison/SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.