Under general supervision, undertakes and performs a variety of tasks associated with the installation, operation, repair and maintenance of the City of Gillette’s electrical power transmission, substation, distribution and fiber optic systems.
JOB FUNCTIONS/DUTIES: The following EXAMPLES OF DUTIES are NOT intended as a comprehensive list. These provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbents may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Installs, maintains and repairs overhead and underground electrical transmission, distribution, and fiber optic lines. Operates bucket truck, power saw and wood chipper. Operates backhoe, digger derrick, trencher, front-end loader and a variety of hand tools. Installs and replaces power poles, transformers, power lines and other power transmission and distribution equipment. Performs preventive and restorative maintenance on power transmission and distribution lines and devices. Participates in the building, maintenance or renovation of electrical substations. Provides assistance and guidance to other Journeyman Linemen, as required. Directly supervises and assists in training the apprentice lineman. Manages large scale capital and maintenance projects under the direct supervision of the Electrical Services Superintendent. Supervises assigned crews in the absence of a foreman.
As scheduled and/or assigned works “on-call”. Responds to emergency situations such as power outages or customer service calls within 20 minutes. Locates cause of problem and makes repairs as needed to restore service. Repairs existing equipment or installs replacement. May install new power lines and/or transformers. Restores power and tests voltages at customer’s property. Maintains logs and documents nature of outage and action taken.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of applicable city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Department’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of inventory control.
- Knowledge of the principles of file and records management.
- Knowledge of the principles of customer service.
- Knowledge of the installation, repair and maintenance of telecommunications equipment and wiring.
- Knowledge of the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical lines and equipment.
- Knowledge of and the ability to use personnel protective equipment.
- Skill in reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Skill in assessing, analyzing, identifying and implementing solutions to complex problems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other City employees, representatives from other city, county, state and/or Federal agencies, the news media, general public and/or others having business with the City of Gillette.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software and operating systems/applications.
- Skill in using specialized tools and equipment.
A high school diploma or GED AND completion of a four (4) year Lineman Apprenticeship program or completion of Lineman school and four (4) years of relevant power line installation experience or closely related experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Must have at the time of application and must maintain certification as a Journeyman Lineman.
- Must have at the time of application and must maintain a valid State of Wyoming Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Must be able to work with hands rubber gloved and with rubber sleeves.
- Must be able to work from an aerial lift device and able to climb and work on wood structures up to 100 feet in height.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials and/or other items weighing up to 70 pounds and carry up to 20 feet.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, extreme weather conditions, infectious diseases, high voltage work areas and extreme heights.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule.
- May be subject to call out and/or call-back.
HOW TO APPLY:
Click here for the City of Gillette application , which is also available on the City website at www.gillettewy.gov/employ.
Please mail, fax, email or drop off your completed application.
TO CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES:
201 E. 5th Street
Gillette, WY 82717
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM
Pre-employment Drug Screening Required Equal Opportunity Employer