Engineer I - Electrical
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
This position is considered an entry level and will work under the guidance and direction of experienced engineers.
- Provide practical application of engineering skills to perform flight and ground system electrical engineering projects that that meet stakeholder expectations, system functional requirements and NASA program requirements.
- Provide technical guidance on systems utilizing but not limited to AC/DC power distribution, command, control and monitoring, instrumentation, lightning protection, and grounding systems.
- Will perform engineering tasks in support of the Flight sub-systems, Ground Support Equipment, and Ground Support Systems.
- Responsibilities include development of the software required for processing and launch of NASA’s Space Launch System.
- The candidates will develop a knowledge of application of technical principles, concept of vehicle processing operations, and gain system knowledge during the application software development period in the assigned system of expertise.
- Additional responsibilities in vehicle processing procedural development, console training and launch certification will follow.
- Engineering discipline can be, electrical, aerospace, computer, reliability, or systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering technology or similar disciplines from an ABET accredited engineering school.
- Experience in troubleshooting electrical and mechanical systems a plus
- Knowledge of mechanical electrical, and control systems a plus
- Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) Panel-View displays and software development is a plus.
- Knowledge of software platforms such as LabVIEW, C++, Visual Basic, and Allen Bradley PLC's/RSlogix, is highly desirable
- Ability to read Engineering schematics, drawings, 3D CAD files, and Engineering specification is a must.
- Excellent communication, presentation and customer interface skills required.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office products, Internet browsers, and outlook.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.