The Company And The Role
Lehigh Hanson is one of the largest construction materials companies in North America with more than 550 active operations in the U.S. and Canada. Our core activities include the production and distribution of cement and aggregates, the two essential raw materials in concrete. Lehigh Hanson companies also produce ready-mixed concrete, asphalt and other concrete products.
Lehigh Hanson is part of the Heidelberg Cement Group, a global leader in aggregates, cement, concrete, and other downstream activities. The Group employs over 60,000 people at more than 3,000 locations in 60 countries.
We are seeking an Electrical Engineer to prepare and manage projects based on ideas developed for the plant for operating (production and maintenance including capacity, efficiency, product quality, and reliability), safety, and/or environmental improvements. The successful candidate will also work cooperatively with Corporate Engineering on those projects with shared project development and project execution responsibilities. They would be responsible for the definition of conceptual to firm project scope and costs during the project development phase leading to the request and approval of project funding. They are also responsible for the successful completion of the project following authorization (costs, schedule, plant performance, and safety) in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and Group policies.
This position will reside in Mitchell, IN.
What You’ll Get To Do
- Provide guidance to electricians and trades helpers in the repair, maintenance and installation of electrical and control systems including daily process problem solving and measurement activities that enable continuous plant operations.
- Ensure the operational viability of the plant by evaluating and maintaining the proper functioning of all electrical and control systems.
- With the Maintenance Planner: Plans, designs and coordinates corrective maintenance projects including developing timelines to work on projects which have the highest priority to the electrical department and the plant and will maximize the availability of the plant equipment. Provide problem solving and root cause analysis, component design, preparation of contract documents and scopes of work, planning, coordinating, and scheduling work required, supervision of contractors, ordering materials to ensure project efficiency and success.
- Manage project costs and maintain records of the costs to contribute to the cost-efficient operation of the plant.
- Review design of electrical installations and be responsible for maintenance to provide for continuous availability for operations
- In conjunction with Purchasing personnel, prepare maintenance and construction contracts to ensure contracted work meets specifications and cost-containment goals.
- Establish and maintain communication with suppliers, contractors, and engineering firms outside of the company as well as with other technical plant personnel to ensure the necessary components are in place to complete maintenance projects in a timely, cost-effective, and efficient manner. Provides direct supervision of contractors assigned to maintenance projects to ensure the completion of the work according to the contract specifications and costs.
- Develops and monitors condition-based electrical maintenance programs including thermography analysis, equipment troubleshooting and trending, vibration analysis and laser alignment. Trains electrical maintenance personnel on use of condition-based maintenance procedures, techniques and technologies.
- Participate in the daily coordination meeting to review corrective work orders, inspection reports and incidents and assist in the planning of maintenance work.
- Ensure the continuous implementation of the preventive maintenance programs by providing coverage for the Electrical Supervisor in his/her absence.
- Assist in the successful completion of projects by coordinating electrical plant projects and shutdowns with overall large capital projects directed by HTC personnel. Coordinate and implement all electrical system upgrades and changes in accordance with project plans and overall plant operational goals.
- Follow plant and MSHA Safety Policies, including the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment. Maintain an awareness of plant environmental standards. Takes corrective action to address minor problems or reports compliance issues to appropriate supervisor for resolution.
Who We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or electrical engineering technology is required, EE or EET preferred
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in the field of electrical engineering and project management
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in providing support for heavy manufacturing, cement manufacturing preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products including MS Excel, Word, Access, and Project
- Fluent with NEC, NFPA, ISA, etc.
- Good familiarity with the operation and maintenance of common electrical equipment such as power distribution system, breakers, high voltage system, air condition and pressurization systems, variable speed medium voltage drives/motors, transformers, switchgear, MCC equipment and power monitoring and communication systems.
- Ability to thoroughly understand all system analytical studies including short circuit, coordination, load flow, motor starting and arc flash.
- Understanding of the justification process for projects including EVA, IRR, NPV
- Understanding of contractual matters (negotiation and legal aspects)
- Good investment market pricing knowledge and cost awareness
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and project management, problem solving and creativity, strategic thinking, and decision making
- Working knowledge of SAP desired
- Good knowledge of CAD software (design of system installations)
- Familiar with PLC/DCS and HMI architecture, in particular, Cemat S7 software and hardware
- Willingness to travel within local EBU or Region.
Benefits & Compensation
We appreciate that candidates have many questions when considering opportunities, so we want to let you know that we offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, which we like to share with candidates a little bit later in the process.