Performs automotive and equipment maintenance and repair, including tune-ups, generation system, hydraulic systems, lights, oil changes and lubrication. Performs DOT inspections. Maintains appropriate records.
Performs routine grounds keeping and building maintenance duties for the Cooperative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs building maintenance including painting, light bulb replacement, recycling, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry, generator maintenance and HVAC cleaning, etc.
- Maintain the grounds area by cutting the grass, pulling weeds, trimming bushes, raking leaves, picking up litter, removing snow, salting ice, etc.
- Inspect Cooperative facility and grounds on a routine basis and ensure all deficiencies are corrected.
- Repairs and maintains all company vehicles and trailers to meet all company, DOT, OSHA, and Federal Requirements.
- Maintains the required written and computerized maintenance records on all company vehicles in an organized fashion.
- Keep all government and company mandated inspections, licenses, and permits up to date for the Cooperative’s fleet.
- Provide own general tools to be used to maintain company vehicles. Any special tools needed to maintain company vehicles will be provided by the Cooperative.
- Maintain accurate inventory of oil, grease, and other automotive supplies, and assure that these materials are kept in approved containers.
- Maintain work area in a safe, neat, and orderly condition by organizing material in stock in a neat manner.
- Attend and participate in job safety programs, other relevant training, and company meetings.
- Be available for unscheduled overtime during consumer outages or emergencies as required by the company to serve in a groundman capacity.
- Operate the truck radio as required and according to company and FCC procedures.
- Comply, while operating any vehicle assigned to this position, all traffic laws, safety rules and regulations and safe practices.
- Participate in the Cooperative’s safety program.
- Keep informed and follow all Cooperative policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Line Superintendent.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and attain the position objective. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or completion of a GED is required. Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school is preferred. Two to five years mechanic experience and/or building maintenance experience is preferred.
- ASE Certification required. Master certification is preferred.
- Ability to effectively read and follow operations and safety manuals. Must interpret vehicle operational manuals, blueprints, work orders, and other electrical specifications.
- Must be able to use vehicle hand tools.
- Must be able to interact with members pleasantly to answer routine electric questions while in the field, and handle emotionally charged outage and emergency situations.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn and use company specific software such as CIS system.
- Ability to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
- Ability to multi-task and work well with others in a fast paced environment
- A proficiency in the English language and its proper usage. Knowledge of a second language is a plus for this position.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as patience
- Ability to perform first aid and CPR.
- Must adhere to Company Safety Rules.
- Must be able to drive and maintain a current Indiana driver’s license.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must reside within Bartholomew County REMC service territory.
This position requires that the individual spend most of the day in the building working on vehicles or performing daily building maintenance. This position may be required to work outside with line crews at job sites in potential inclement weather. The employee will be expected to frequently drive and/or move company vehicles. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
Frequently – see, talk, hear, walk, sit, stand, use hands to finger, handle, write, feel and reach with hands and arms.
Occasionally – stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, balance, crawl, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.