Overhead Line Worker
Under general supervision, the Overhead Line Worker performs journey level inspections, maintains and repairs overhead lines, power distribution cables, communication cables and overhead signal cables.
Essential Job Functions
• Performs inspections and repairs of all overhead contact wires, poles, support, distribution, communication and signal cables, insulators and switch gears;
• Performs inspections and repairs of lighting and other electrical systems;
• Operates boom and tower trucks and other equipment and tools;
• Operates welding equipment;
• Keeps tools and equipment clean and in good condition;
• Keeps records of work performed;
• May provide lead supervision and assist in training other workers;
• Prepares written reports, documents defects and repairs on inspection forms, work orders, or designated computer programs;
• Operates computer for related data input and retrieval;
• Performs related work as required.
Training and education equivalent to a high school diploma and the following experience:
Two (2) years of verifiable experience as a journey level transit electrical line worker, working with over 600 Volts D.C.
Two (2) years of verifiable experience as a journey level electrical line worker working with over 750 Volts A.C. in the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of overhead and underground lines.
Completion of a state certified electrical line worker apprenticeship program or equivalent is preferred.
Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license and the ability to qualify for and maintain a Class A license. Applicants must obtain a Class A driver’s license within 6 months of appointment. Failure to obtain a Class A driver license will be cause for termination.
Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and odd and unusual hours.