Utility Compliance Technician
The City of Palo Alto's Utilities team is currently recruiting for a Utility Compliance Technician. Under the guidance and direction of the Utilities Supervisor, the Utility Compliance Tech conducts routine overhead and underground line patrols for compliance with General Orders 95 and 128 of the State of California; verifies tree trimming program; conducts line patrols during outages; maintains computer database of inspections and patrols.
The Utility Compliance Technician is responsible for conducting all required Safety and Service Reliability Inspections as directed by Manager, Electric Operations. This position also has the responsibility to maintain a database of discrepancies which are reported to the appropriate Manager or Supervisor for correction and to the State of California as requested.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Insures compliance with General Orders 95 for Overhead Construction through scheduled line patrols.
- Insures compliance with General Orders 128 for underground construction through scheduled line patrols.
- Maintains an accurate, up-to-date database of all infractions or deviations found during line patrols.
- Makes recommendations to Supervisor and/or Engineering for making improvements to the infrastructure.
- Makes minor repairs in the field during line patrols, such as installing guy markers, date nails, pole numbers, ground wire moldings, installing bolts for box lids, visibility strips, etc.
- Immediately reports hazardous conditions to Utilities Supervisor or to the Utilities System Dispatcher.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of General Orders 95 and 128
- Knowledge of Title 8, Cal/OSHA Electrical Safety Orders
- Knowledge of overhead and underground electric construction practices
- Thorough knowledge of all materials used in overhead and underground line construction including nomenclature
- Knowledge of tree trimming requirements (Cal/OSHA)
- Knowledge of infrared technology and use of equipment
- Ability to identify abnormal conditions, such as safety hazards
- Ability to use equipment and/or software applications on a PC as well as the ability to type correspondence and other documents in a variety of formats at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include walking, standing, climbing hills/rough terrain, for extended periods of time.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
- Completion of an apprenticeship as an electrical lineperson/cablesplicer with a minimum 5 years of journeyman lineperson/cablesplicer experience.
Special Requirements:Possession of a valid California Driver's License
IDEAL CANDIDATE:Must have full knowledge of the State of California's General Order's 95, 128, & 165 rules for construction and maintenance of overhead and underground electric supply systems. Must know the State of California Safety Title 8 rules and regulations.