Distribution Journeyman Lineman Construction - (Multiple Locations & Opportunities)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
We are hiring Journeyman Lineman to work throughout our service territory in Distribution & Transmission. Current opportunities are predominantly in the Central Valley and Central Coast regions, but additional locations in the Bay Area and Northern region may also be available.
Our Journeyman Linemen are responsible for building and maintaining electric power systems and for restoring electric service to commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential customers. They are expected to test, frame and set poles; climb poles, towers and work in confined spaces; splice and terminate cables; and have completed a state sanctioned/IBEW sponsored Line Worker apprenticeship. Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. Linemen must be able to drive safely, work extended hours, travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at any time (for positions GC), and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
Our General Construction (GC) Department is comprised of approximately 700 employees, tasked with the Construction and Maintenance of high voltage electrical facilities within PG&E's system. It is a mobile work force that may travel throughout PG&E’s service territory to perform its work.
All Journeyman Lineman classifications (Division and GC) are represented by IBEW Local 1245.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
• Must possess a valid Class A California Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one by day one of employment
• Completion of a state sanctioned and/or IBEW sponsored line worker apprenticeship
• Internal PG&E Employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Journeyman Lineman Knowledge Assessment (JLKA) prior to applying
• External and Hiring Hall Candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Journeyman Lineman Knowledge Assessment (JLKA) prior to interviewing
• Must pass the Journeyman Assessment for Lineworker Progression physical assessment prior to interviewing
• Must pass a Post-offer Physical Assessment (POPA) to meet the pre-employment requirements
• Must pass a drug screening and back-ground check as part of the pre-employment process
• Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 100 pounds a minimum of one time a day
• Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
• Ability to drive in all weather and road conditions
• Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
• Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home (for GC positions)
• Certified in Rubber Gloving procedures
• Experience in transmission work, underground, numerous voltages and/or distribution work.
• Perform work at all times in a safe manner, obeying all of PGE’s “Rules to Live By”, Safe Working Practices and Work Procedure Methods.
• Take direction from person in charge and work safely as a team with other members of the crew.
• Test, frame, and set poles; string electric power lines, install cross arms and anchors, install and replaces switches/circuit protection equipment/insulators/meters/streetlights; hang and energize transformers; take voltage readings and perform phasing.
• Use hand and power tools, climb poles and towers, work at heights on poles/towers/aerial lifts, work with live circuits, climb ladders, work in manholes and confined spaces. Depending on work location/area, work may include working from helicopters, boats, snowmobiles and snow cats.
• Locate, pull, remove, splice and terminate cables; install and replace equipment.
• Load, unload, layout and prep tools/supplies/equipment/materials needed at each job site.
• Review work assignment; “redlines” corrects/changes drawing to job sketch.
• Operate hydraulic, aerial and compressor-driven equipment.
• Based on qualifications, drive company pickup truck, crew cab, digger derrick, aerial lift to designated job sites.
• Communicate in person, by phone and radio with supervisor, foreman and coworkers.
• Must work in a team environment participating in tailboards throughout the day.
• Provide on-the-job training/orientation/demonstration/assistance to pre-apprentice and apprentice linemen.
• Provide back-up relief in temporary absence of foreman; direct work of other crewmembers; act as a leader.
• Attend all mandated OSHA and company training.